Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August is my month!

I was really inspired by this photo that Rossie included in her mid century textiles post about a month ago. The moment I saw the pillow to the right, I knew that I wanted to do something similar.

I normally don't do straight "block" quilts (especially with sashing) but several things appeal to me about this design. I like the thin, dark sashing (haven't decided yet if I'll use black or dark brown). I also like that each block is composed of only white & one other fabric. I like the added interest of having one column of blocks that is thinner than the others. I like that each block is so very simple, but the variety & layout give it lots of interest.

The envelope you receive will contain white & one other fabric. No need to add more fabric - my plan is to have each fabric featured once in the quilt, in your block only. Use my sketch as inspiration for your block, but keep in mind that it is exactly that - inspiration. It's not an exact course of action. I'm sure I'll love your interpretations. I only ask that you keep with the spirit of the sketch - simple, squares & rectangles, each block edged in white. And I loved Rossie's statement in her quilt block instructions - "I love subtle wonk, but nothing crazy or forced."

Please make your blocks 14.5" tall by 15" wide, including seam allowance. I'll make the thinner blocks myself, when I've received all yours. I know the measurements are a little weird, but it will work out in the end. :)

Here's my sketch. Thanks so much, I'm looking forward to putting this one together!

9 comments:

  1. this is going to be great! I saw this first on flickr and clicked on it wanting to know more...then realized with glee that I get to be part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun! I can't wait to get my fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza: loving this design! this should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be good. I wonder how many of us will opt for the blocks with more going on, versus the simple ones? We might want to post as we go so us stragglers can make up what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, that would be fine with me. I did consider this dilemma... I figure that the blocks made by the group will constitute half the blocks I need, so I think I can even them out (if necessary) when I make the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not in the group but I love seeing what is going on here. I can't wait to see what the quilt will look like finished. I love the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first time I've ever stopped by here, but what a fantastic idea. I'm looking forward to following this and seeing what happens :)

    Love that sketch too, I think that would look just fantastic on my bed........

    ReplyDelete